If you like strawberry pie, then this recipe is for you. You can use fresh or frozen berries, just remember, the sweeter the berry, the sweeter the pie. Tart pies are fine too, you will just need to add more sweetener. This recipe is sweetened with honey.
- 1 baked and cooled pie crust (frozen is fine, or use your favorite crust recipe)
- 6 cups fresh strawberries (about 3 pints)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup raw honey
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Put two cups of strawberries in a saucepan with the water. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes; crush the berries with a spoon or potato masher.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and lemon juice. Pour slowly into the berry mixture, stirring constantly. Let the berries thicken and bubble for about 3 minutes, then remove from heat. Stir in honey.
- Cut the remaining strawberries in half and pile them into the pie crust. Pour the cooked berries over evenly. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, at least 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream.